Author: Natalie

Toronto Police Investigate Suspected Explosive Device Found at Pearson International Airport

Toronto Police Investigate Suspected Explosive Device Found at Pearson International Airport

Suspicious device found at a Toronto airport has been disarmed and 2 people are in custody, authorities say.

The suspected explosive device was found Sunday morning at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport about 150 metres from the main terminal, where a large crowd of people and security screening officers were in high spirits despite the airport being closed for a half-hour.

Toronto police spokesperson Const. Allie MacFarlane said a bomb unit was called in to disarm the device.

“Our investigators are now looking into the possibility that the device was made in China. We will be talking with authorities in China to find out more about the device and to determine whether it was made there,” she said.

MacFarlane said the device was disarmed using “tactical equipment,” but Toronto Police’s Bomb Unit would like to speak to anyone who has any information to help them identify the perpetrators.

“While we will not say publicly who we believe constructed the device, we can assure the public that investigators are working very hard with our international partners to track down the individual who is responsible for this and bring him or her to justice,” she said in a statement.

Police are also investigating whether the device was actually explosive or a suicide threat.

“At this time, we’re not ruling out terrorism,” MacFarlane said.

The airport is still operating but at a restricted capacity, with all non-essential travel suspended in and out of the airport. Passengers are asked to stay indoors while police investigate.

Toronto police officers help clear chairs away from the area at the airport where a suspicious device was found Sunday morning. (Patrick Morrell/CBC)

The airport has confirmed it has detained two people, both in their 20s. It is not clear whether they are connected.

“We are concerned by the incident at this time, our first concern is the security of our passengers and staff,” MacFarlane said.

While most of the airport was reopened on Sunday, non-essential personnel were still working at the airport.

Passengers were asked to stay inside the terminals and flights resumed late Monday morning.

Air Canada cancelled all flights at the airport, while WestJet said it would operate its routes with additional security, including bag

Leave a Comment